chevy forums   mercury forums

Go Back   Mercury Forums > Mercury Vehicles Currently In Production > Mercury Sable / Montego Forum

Notices

Mercury Sable / Montego Forum Forum discussions regarding the Mercury Sable and Montego

Mercury Forum: Instrument cluster replacement questions

Old 01-19-2017, 11:51 PM

Default Instrument cluster replacement questions

Hello everyone,

My wife needed to change her car and we really liked a 2005 Montego FWD (I like it so much I want one for myself now!) but it had some issues. I solved most of them (doing the front suspension this weekend) but the fuel gauge doesn't work... I am sure it's not the sending units because the "xxx miles to E" is accurate (we calculated over 2 weeks and it is precise and reliable). The fuel gauge jumps randomly up and down and even gets "off the grid" - meaning it moves on the left side! My conclusion was that the gauge is the one to blame (the indicator itself) and I wanted to buy and instrument cluster from Ebay (I can't find a new one and I don't know if I want to put that much money in it...). I watched a tutorial and it seems easy to replace but:
- will the mileage change according to the new cluster?
- will there be any reprogramming necessary or it should just work instantly?
- does it have to be exactly the same car? (engine, trim, FWD or AWD) or any 2005 should work?
Or if you have any other idea or information...
Thank you for your time and help!
Andrei