chevy forums   mercury forums

Go Back   Mercury Forums > Mercury Vehicles Most Recently In Production > Mercury Mountaineer Forum

Mercury Mountaineer Forum Forum discussions regarding the Mercury Mountaineer

Mercury Forum: 2007 Mountaineer chugging issue

Old 03-31-2014, 07:04 PM

Default 2007 Mountaineer chugging issue

Hi everyone. First post here.

I have a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4.6l V8.

I've been having an issue mostly with light acceleration lately when I get up to speed. Usually around 50-65mph. But has happened at lower speeds sometimes. It's basically a chugging that starts when I slowly accelerate. It goes away when I step on the pedal a bit harder. I have had one check engine light. I got it to chug kept it chugging until it threw a light. Took it to autozone to have it checked. Not sure of what the exact code was, it was an odd one they said. Something about lost communication with Transmission. But they looked it up and it came back with the possibility of a bad Throttle Postion Sensor. With all the symptoms I was experiencing the listed symptoms for a bad TPS fit all in line, a new TPS seemed to be the thing I needed. So I bought one, installed it, and I'm still having issues.

Now I read in this thread at the bottom about unhooking the Mass airflow sensor. Or possibly Fuel pump... It is a different engine different year. So I just want to make sure.

http://mercuryforums.com/mercury-for...ad.php?t=13915

Thank you everyone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:55 PM

I have a 2006 Mariner that is doing exactly the same thing...was you able to get a good fix?
Old 11-23-2017, 12:43 PM

I have an 07 4.6l that did EXACTLY the same thing. I feel your pain and know what you are going through. I recently had a mechanic tell me I needed a transmission rebuild. He was WRONG.

First I had the spark plugs changed and that fixed it for awhile. When it happened again my mechanic said it is common for coils to go bad when new plugs are installed. He replaced the bad coil and the problem stopped. Happened again, replaced a second coil and fixed the problem. Problem is the coils are about $90 each so when it happened again I started looking online and found 1aautoparts sells a box of 8 coils for only $75! I ordered them and had my mechanic install. After a few hundred miles the car runs great so far and I am very happy. I know putting aftermarket parts from China in my car is probably not a good idea but for $75 I decided to try it. You can probably install the coils yourself even if you are not mechanical. 1aautoparts has a good video on how to install.

Tags
bucking, chugging, mountaineer