chevy forums   mercury forums

Go Back   Mercury Forums > Mercury Vehicles Most Recently In Production > Mercury Grand Marquis Forum

Mercury Grand Marquis Forum Forum discussions regarding the Mercury Grand Marquis

Mercury Forum: Just bought a 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Old 07-31-2016, 02:35 AM

Question Just bought a 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

just picked it up today for $650. Just wondering if there are any known issues with this year? Car runs smooth, this is my first "ford" so im not familiar with the motor, its a 4.6 v8 overhead cam. When im driving i cant hear the motor at all, almost seems like its off at times its so damn quiet. It only has 70,000 original miles and has ice cold ac. The guy said it was his sons, and rarely driven.....no oil stains from where it was parked, no check engine light or any other warning lights. How is the power supposed to be? when i accelerate it seems very slow picking up speed but before i know it im doing 70 in a 35. It also seemed to be running hot, needle was at the A and L in "NORMAL" where does it usually run at? when it was on the L, ac was still blowing ice cold and ran smooth still....shut car off and started right back up, still on the "L" .... Just a newbie looking for some info!! any bit will help, thanks!

Old 11-17-2016, 10:43 PM

I have a 96 with the 4.6 and there is no exhaust system, just a straight pipe, and It is loud when accelerating, but when cruising you can barely hear it. So I cant imagine how quiet it would be if I actually had a muffler lol. . I have absolutely no acceleration issues. Press the gas a little harder and it gooooooes.... I do find that if I am cruising around town or if speed limit is under 50, it is easier to turn off the overdrive. That way the engine hold u back a little, otherwise once that next gear kicks in it like to cruise up past the speed limit pretty easily. I also have an 88 and I have found both of them to be excellent cars. I payd $750 for the 88 with 72000 miles. Tranny went out but I rebuilt it and am still doing other work, but overall I am very impressed with the cars. They are strong.